Kids between the ages one to three years need an average 12- 14 hours of sleep. Three to five years old require 11 to 13 hours, while school children between five and twelve need 10 -11 hours of sleep. Kids from 12 years, up to eighteen can manage with 8 – 9 hours of sleep.
- An enjoyable, but low-key and predictable bed-time routine makes the kid feel secure and helps him to fall asleep easily.
- A cozy bedroom, where the child can feel safe and secure is conducive to proper sleeping habits. A cool, dark and comfortable room is ideal for your child. The television or computer should not be kept in the child’s bedroom as this might interfere with his sleeping patterns.
A single blistering sunburn in the early years of your child’s life could significantly increase his risk of developing skin cancer later in life. Thus it is extremely important that your child should take adequate precautions before going out in the sun.
- Help your child to develop the habit of applying sunscreen on his body. Pack a sunscreen and a SPF lip balm in your child’s backpack.
- Simply smearing on sunscreen is not enough. It is also important to wear sunshades and hats when your child is out in the sun. You could make them more interested and eager to put on the hats by letting them choose their own funky hats and shades.
- Teach your kids that if they are outside between 11 and 4, when the sun’s rays are the strongest, they need to follow the “shadow rule”, that is, if their shadows are longer than their own body, they need to head for a shady area to play.
It is extremely important that your child develops a hygienic habit of washing his hands to prevent the spread of germs.
- Ask your kid to sing the “ABC Song” while they are scrubbing their hands, which shall keep them washing for the right length of time and at the same time help them to remember their alphabets.
A child friendly step stool in front of the wash basin shall make it easier for your kid to wash his hands after every time he sneezes, goes out, or touches the pet. A special soap and towel, meant only for your child shall make the task fun and interesting for him.